|Stelling Wilma car
|Oliver Tiger Two-Five
|Oliver Alfa Romeo
|Replica ED MG
|Jack Morgan's Red Fox
|Novice Tether Car
What is now Class 3b started as a beginners class with spur mounted engines but quickly developed into a very expensive and trick option. This car is one of hundreds built by Edvard Stelling in Lithuania with the intriguing feature of the tuned pipe cast into the chassis pan. Most ended up re-engined and with conventional pipes fitted, so this is a real survivor. Currently for sale on eBay.
Vendor photo Dec 2014
|Oliver 'Tiger Two-Five'
The body of this lovely little
car is original Oliver, more normally fitted with a twinshaft motor.
This one has a standard single ended Elfin aero motor, on a block that
picks up on both mounting lugs. The outer wheel is attached to the Elfin
crankcase via a machined housing, but whether it is a slave or driven is
not known. The Elfin motor was equal to the Oliver in its time as Gerry
|'Oliver Alfa Romeo'
These are not strictly
cars as it was one of a range of semi scale cars originally designed by
Harry Howlett who was responsible for most of the casting for the Oliver
concern. The Alfa initially had a single-ended motor on a spur mount,
but eventually it would be the twinshaft that powered the entire Oliver
range. Olivers added the Tiger 2.5 and the Bomb to the range of cars
they sold, but Harry Howlett was always acknowledged as the designer of
the scale ones.
Curwen Mystery Update
This Challenger bodies version has a chassis number of 1188, which puts it in the first year or so of production. Currently there is no engine fitted and no sign that there ever was, which is the state most of the front engined M&Es seem to be in as there does not appear to be enough room for any of the 6-10cc engines around at the time. The mounting system shown in the catalogue will definitely not work on the Challenger or Austin, but does with an Owatt in the larger ERA body. Strangely chassis numbers 1188,89,90 have all turned up.
Thanks to Peter Hill for this item. Photos OTW Aug 2014
|Rarest of the M&Es
As far as is known, this is the
only complete and original Austin bodied version of the
M&E to exist. The
only other one had the axles cut off to fit ZN wheels, but it is hoped to
replace these with originals in the not too distant future. This car came
without a motor or mounts but now a period K Vulture nestles in the
correct place. The chassis number of 1458 dates it to 1948 and like the
other survivor showed no evidence of ever having been run. There
was at least one more sold, but whether that still exists is unknown.
|Another RR mystery.
We had seen details of this
car somewhere, but has taken months to pin down the article that
featured it. We believe that the car was built by a Mr Lindupp of the
Handley Page MES. It was certainly on show at the opening of the Society's new
track in Nov 1947 although not running at that time. The car appears to
have front steering and suspension and based on the designs of D B
Wright, and was originally fitted with friction drive and a Kestrel motor.
|ED record breaker (replica)
This car in the hands
of EDs chief designer Basil Miles won the 1948 MG Trophy as well as
breaking the C Class record powered by an
EDMk III 2.49cc diesel. His speed of 41.7mph was later exceeded
by nearly 10mph in the Hastings Trophy meeting. The motor was unusual in
being offered with an alternative glowhead conversion. This superb
replica by Steve Betney is as close to the original as it is possible to
get, including the 'Speedicord' tyres. Now the subject of a
Work Bench article
|Unique MRC engine installation
This is definitely
a first, a Taplin Twin installed in a 1066 MRC chassis. Given that the
Taplin did not come onto the market until 1959, this is obviously a
later marriage. Unusual detail is the 1066 C1 clutch rather than the
more common, three-shoe, centrifugal version. The car has also been
built with the gearbox turned over making the front of the car now the
back. Most of the car is original 1066 although some of the suspension
components are definitely home brewed. The straight rear radius arms
indicate this was one of the later kits.
This car produced, by Paul Zere's ZN
concern, represents the transition in the British tethered car
market as it was one of the last commercial models to be produced and
intended purely for racing. When announced in 1951 it cost a not
inconsiderable £22-10-0 but this was ready to run and 'tested'. All that
was needed was the small matter of a Dooling McCoy or ETA 29 to bolt in.
In 1953 at the Edmonton track, a ZN car identical to this in the hands
of Tom Prest was the first British 5cc to exceed 100mph. Examples of
exceedingly rare and unfortunately, the one shown here has now
|Track fresh Arrow
A lovely and early example of probably the most numerous and successful of all tethered cars, the Dooling Arrow. This one has had the attention of a hacksaw on the lugs to allow a pan handle to be fitted at some time in its career as did many others. The car is a real garage find as it is in the condition it was last raced, believed to be by a member of the Derby Club. Just need to find who ran as number 43?
Thanks to Peter Hill for this superb item. OTW photo Feb 2014
Jack Morgan's 'Fox'