Home     Updates     Hydros     Cars     Engines     Contacts     Links     Racing     ←2020                         Contact On The Wire

Oliver Monk

  'Workshop Ramblings'

2021

 

 

Workshop and Kitchen Table Ramblings February

Itís been quite awhile since I have written anything its not that I havenít been active in the workshop but most of what I have been doing is stuff that I have already written about. So here is a catch up:-

Discus launched Glider Electric Powered glider

For a change from building cars this lockdown I decided to build a couple of model aircraft. Most will know I am a volunteer at Buckminster, my interest in flying radio models has been rekindled after a layoff of forty years. First two photos are a discus launch glider of one metre span the kit came in a plastic bag. It's all laser cut and the cutting was very accurate, it was a pleasure to build, and something I had not done before, carbon spars and leading edge. You have probably noticed this is the kitchen table bit of the Ramble. The third photo is the other model I built, a German kit called 'Introduction'. It's an F5J electric powered glider of just under three metre span, more carbon in this one, a superb kit. It has got the flaps down in the centre section, not something missing. Still needs the radio control gear and electric motor to be installed.

On the left is the start of a plug for my 2.1cc car body. On the right is a vacuum forming of the top and bottom. I am going to lay-up a fibre glass body in the formings, it's an easy way to make a mould.

The car, and its body on the right out of the vac formed mould, a success. My lay-up in the mould was not the best but a bit of filler will sort it.

Making a plug for the tank build on the Moore No 12, the wood is MDF.

Just making sure it fits the pan.

And fits the top Cardboard  pattern for the brass sheet The brass sheet held in place for soldering
A little folder I made from an old
 magazine article
the cut away in the tank to make room
 for the venturi
The completed tank in the car, very few straight lines in it and took quite a while to build

On the left is a needle valve I am making, the thread is M2.5. The bar it is made from is held in a collet, machine the needle first then pull out the bar, turn it down, cut the thread, pull it out a bit more and turn the plain bit, easy. Centre is the completed needle and half the spray bar. The third picture shows the venturi that was in the engine, a not very good copy, bought a replacement off eBay, it the one on the right.
 

Thatís it, I need to get something finished so I have something new to play with at Buckminster. Got four cars on the go at the moment, the closest to being finished is the 2.1cc car followed by a modern 1.5cc car that I am rebuilding, needs a new top that is well underway and an overhaul of the engine gearbox etc. I have made a cable tester to the FEMA design and it will be installed at Buckminster in the next week or two, itís a replacement for the Heath Robinson one I used last season. We charged everyone who ran cars at Buckminster £10 for the day, £8 went to the BMFA the other £2 was for track upkeep, I used the money raised to buy the steel for the cable tester.

©copyrightOliverMonk2021