Home     Updates     Hydros     Cars     Engines     Contacts     Links     Racing     ←2019                        Contact On The Wire

Oliver Monk

  'Workshop Ramblings'

2020

 

This is a picture from the Grand Slam race in Basel last August, there are worries that our sport is slowly dying out. It was good to see these two young lads Janis and Laurin learning to horse. They used an old retired Class 3b car with no engine. The second picture is a Cox 049 car kit that I built for the lads, their father Philipp has built them a pole so they can run it on a local car park.

This is Edward Stelling helping Marek’s grandson Franciszek with his Class 3b car.

Its good to see some new entrants to the sport.

 

As some will know we are building a track in the UK initially for old timer and sport model cars. I have volunteered to build the centre pole, the flanges picture on the left were straight forward machining jobs made easier by being able to buy laser cut steel discs. The bearing carrier/cable attachment was not going to be so easy It was too big to fit in the lathe, so I decide to draw it in 3d and make it on my CNC milling machine.

The mill certainly produced some swarf while producing it but at least it proved that my drawing and the producing of the code to make things is getting better.  Right: The completed bearing carrier and the two collars to position it.

Still on with making bits for the new track, the CNC mill is getting a bit more use, certainly makes life a bit easier for some jobs. These parts are for cable ends.

I have two engines for my 3.5cc car, one of them has never gone as fast as the other. So, I bought a new crankcase and a new Zimmerman disc assembly. The front housing on the engine felt good so that is going to be used along with the rest of the internals.

A mandrel was machined up to hold the crankcase casting to allow the case end to be squared off and the case to be bored out for the Zimmerman assembly just four holes to drill and tap to hold the back plate on and it was all done.

Another little time-consuming job a bit of turning and milling the hex head nuts to hold the flywheel on my 1.5cc engine.  Before we went to Tallinn this year, I put a 1.5cc engine together from a box of spare Kapu 1,5cc bits we had. The shims were a bit tight on the head and put a tiny flange on the shim where it had been pushed into the liner. This also distorted the liner enough to affect the nip of piston in the liner. New set of big bore shims made.

Over the Christmas holiday we moved my son Aaron’s lathe, milling machine etc out of my workshop into his workshop at his new house.

The CNC machine is now in my warm workshop.

 

The next project is a car for Buckminster.

I am going to do a table top build of an Oliver Mercedes castings and the new Redfin twin shaft engine which is on its way from Alex.

Alongside this build I will do a full workshop build using another set of castings and a Eureka engine like the one in the picture.

©copyrightOTW2020