Photo of the
Bert Stalham's 'Torpedo'
This magnificent, supercharged, 15cc vee
twin appeared at the 1951 Model Engineering Exhibition, winning
its builder, Bert Stalham from King's Lynn, a bronze medal. The
engine had its trial runs in a single step boat called Starlet
before being installed in a very lightweight hull with twin
sponsons. Torpedo above was built along model aeroplane lines
and a true 'proprider' as it had no aft planing step. The motor
now resides, completely enclosed in a very boxy hull, also
called 'Tha'. The full story of Bert and his hydroplanes with
their home built engines can be seen in an earlier
Lone hands article.