Home     Updates     Hydros     Cars     Engines     Contacts     Links                               Contact On The Wire

Ten-Sixty-Six Products

MRC  (Model Racing Car)

The arrival of the first car from the company, called simply the 1066 Model Racing Car, was somewhat organic, as the parts came on to the market bit by bit, with the chassis being the last item offered. A body was added even later. Every single component for the car was given a code to identify it.

The wheels were the first items to appear and comprised two pressed aluminium discs held apart by an aluminium spacer.

The discs were assembled on a hub, which had either a knockoff type spinner or a tommy bar hole on the outer end, and was threaded ¼ BSF internally with a left or right hand thread. (Many have been damaged through this when brute force has been used to screw the axles in). A fine rate thread on the outside of the hub enabled the unit to be clamped with a thin aluminium nut. A turned aluminium brake drum would also screw onto this hub.

Tyres were originally solid ‘Hastings Racing Cord’, later named ‘1066 Solid Racing Cord’ but eventually precision ‘air-cored’ tyres were made available which made for weight reduction and a smoother ride. The air-cored tyres were similar to a modern tubeless tyre and only retained the air through the clamping pressure on the beads.

Stopping the tyres turning in the discs was a problem with driving wheels, although it was claimed that they would never strip from the wheels. A complete wheel and tyre would cost you a princely 15/6 (77p)

Next to turn up was an axle unit. Three castings made up the axle, which was the full width of the car. A 3/16" input shaft mated to the pinion of a set of 2:1 bevel gears and the crown wheel was pinned to a ¼" axle. All shafts ran in bronze bearing sleeves. Axles were threaded left and right hand to match the wheel hubs. Casting sets cost 10/6 (52p) with the gears, axles and bushes having to be purchased separately. Left: Front axle

The last element of the drive train was a clutch. 1066 offered two quite distinct units, both of which required the same standard flywheel. CL1 was a standard three shoed centrifugal type, with the shoes screwed directly onto the face of the flywheel. An aluminium drum ran on the extended end of the long collett mentioned earlier. A 1/4" dia ball joint took the drive to the axle unit.  Pictured CL2 Left / CL1 Right

CL2 was a separate unit which mated to the flywheel via the three screw holes used for the shoes on CL1 This clutch had two shoes which were spring loaded so that they were permanently engaged and provided a ‘soft take up’ Output arrangements were the same as for the three shoe version.

If the published plan for the car is followed, the engine will only fit if the CL2 clutch is used. The holes for the motor mount must be drilled further back if the CL1 unit is to be used. This then limits the space for the fuel tank as well. As an aside, if a standard 3/8" plug is fitted into the motor it fouls the body. Another example of a 1066 ‘design glitch’

Finally a complete chassis kit was marketed. This was available in three stages of completion. K1 at 62/6 (£3.12), consisted components and materials, but with all the machining to do. K2 had a clutch added to the basic package and cost 92/6 (£4.62) and K3, which was a complete car ready to assemble at £6-12-6 (£6.52). Folded aluminium side rails 5/8x1/4 were held together by a cast front member and a folded rear member. The engine plate and steering unit gave some rigidity to the whole assembly. Axles were located by radius rods screwed into cast teardrop axle mounts with suspension by coil springs and spring pins through very flimsy steel angles. The back axle rotated along with the wheels, in two bronze bushes that were held into 2 die-cast ‘axle mounts’ by setscrews.

The front radius rods were straight and bolted to the side members. The full width axle housing clamped into the cast radius rod ends with 2 more setscrews. The rear rods however had to be cranked quite sharply to attach to the steering mechanism. A later modification involved running the rear spring pins directly through the chassis member. This allowed the radius rods to be kept straight, but left large unsupported overhangs for the axle as the mounts and bearings were moved inboard by 1" each side.

Right: Straight radius rods and rudimentary steering mechanism

The car was finished off with a large rectangular fuel tank between the chassis members and two NIFE cells in a battery holder attached to the rear of the chassis.

Original adverts show what is referred to as an ‘ERA type body’ but this does not look the same as what was eventually produced and certainly not like an ERA. The production body was a simple pressing from 20 SWG aluminium that has a more ‘twenties’ look. The body was available in three states. Unfinished for 24/6 (£1.42). Buffed and polished at 29/6 (£1.47). The most expensive option was to have it coloured and anodised for a total of 38/6 (£1.92).

In 1949 a ‘Luxury Kit’ was advertised, which included a buffed and polished body, a large front valance, a radiator grill, and upholstery for the cockpit

The CH1 chassis was very flimsy and really only suitable for motors up to 5cc. Chassis kits were advertised for 2.5, 5 and 10cc cars, but as far as we are aware, there was never a 2.5cc car that existed as a separate entity.


 Conquest

The Conquest represented a complete departure from the previous car offered by the company. Intended primarily for the Conqueror motor, the Conquest was designed for a 10cc spur drive motor and mount.

Instead of a chassis, 2 large pressings in 14swg aluminium made a pan and body that butted together. A cast motor mount carried a turned axle in two ball races. The 3/8" hardened and tempered axles were tapered, flanged and threaded ¼ BSF left and right hand.

Provision was made on the motor mount for adding a magneto behind the axle, driven by a second spur gear. The motor mount and axle at £1-10 (£1.50) and 13/6 (67p) respectively, were offered as separate items for those who wished to ‘do their own thing’.

The front axle unit was bolted directly to the pan and had two swing axles with rubber bush springing mounted into an aluminium casting. Two tether brackets made from bent steel strip were bolted through the pan, one behind the motor mount and one behind the front wheels.

Like most other spur drive, rear rotary valve installations, it was difficult to get the fuel tank and outlet mounted anywhere near the desired location.

The wheels and tyres supplied for the 5cc MRC car were obviously not up to the task for a 10cc car so completely new heavy-duty wheels and tyres were provided. The new wheels were made from two turned castings. The outer casting carried the hub and half the rim, while the inner ring clamped the tyre to this outer disc via 3 countersunk screws. The hub had a taper bore fitted either with a collet, which could be pinned to the driving axle when the wheel nut was tightened or a solid phosphor bronze bush for the front wheels.

Tyres were available in 3 ½" or 4" dia, but strangely no wheels for the 4" tyres have yet been found. A pair of wheels and tyres was priced at £1-15-0 (£1.75)

As with the MRC, the Conquest kit was supplied neatly boxed with all the mechanical parts required for the car. The body pressings were boxed separately. The cost of the kit was £10-10-0 (£10.50). The original illustration of the kit shows a very plain mock up of the top half, rather than the eventual fluted pressing. A variation of the top body pressing has been seen but it is not known if this was a production item?

Conquest built from original parts. ZN wheels and tyres Jack Hadlow's factory car with experimental Conqueror motor 

5cc Hawk

The 5cc Hawk is the engine shown fitted to the MRC car in all adverts and the 1066 catalogue. It is loosely based on the earlier, ‘Westbury inspired’ Falcon design, with many parts being interchangeable. To add to the confusion slightly, it is wrongly captioned as an Arrow in Mr Clanfords A-Z. The most obvious differences between the Falcon and Hawk are the separate screwed in Cast Iron barrel and the change to RRV induction. These changes required new set of dies for the crankcase as well as patterns and cores for the cylinder. The basic design was similar, but the crankcase was altered to accommodate the new separate barrel with a venturi boss being added to the rear face. The barrel was new, but relatively low tech, and to ease the casting and machining of the ports reverted to a separate transfer cover. A ground and honed cast iron piston ran directly in the iron cylinder. The front housing, CB assembly and head were all interchangeable with the Falcon.

Because of the restrictions on industry that existed at the time, the engine was initially only available for export, but by Nov 1948 was made ‘available to the home market’.

The Hawk was available in 2 versions, H/RC for cars and boats, H/A for planes. Both featured a simple trumpet shape venturi with a two-part spray bar screwed into an enlarged centre section. For aeroplane use, a clear plastic tank with an aluminium top was attached to the underside of the venturi using a small bracket and brass draw bolt. A long choke tube replaced the fuel nipple.

The H/A version intended for planes had a standard Falcon style crankshaft whilst the car and hydro model had a hardened and ground full circle version, specially designed to ‘improve the volumetric efficiency of the crankcase’. Westbury designed his engines with very low crankcase compression, as he reasoned that overcoming this compression reduced the power of the engines. How wrong could he be? The change from sideport to RRV induction and reduction in the crankcase volume must have increased power noticeably.

Adverts for the MRC car in the 1066 catalogue show a Hawk with a CL2 clutch fitted to the chassis, and this is probably where most of the engines were used. It is also interesting to note that the three-shoe clutch could not be fitted without redrilling the chassis and repositioning the engine. A further ‘design glitch’ meant that the pressed aluminium body could not be used with a 3/8" plug as fitted to the engine.

Contemporary evidence suggests that the Hawk was only in production for a year and then only available as a completed factory built motor at £6.10.00 (£6.50). For this reason the engine is not very common.

Engine numbers started at 1000 with the highest so far noted being 1029. A few motors have been built from spare parts to add to the total but probably no more than 50 Hawks exist.

By coincidence the first production Hawk, serial# 1000, with a three-shoe clutch fitted was discovered not far from Worcester and offered for sale on eBay during 2005.

Update 2012:- A Hawk with a serial number of 1032 has recently been discovered in a MRC car that is under restoration. This is now the highest number that we are aware of.

Right: Hawk serial #1000

©copyrightOTW2012