Home     Updates     Hydros     Cars     Engines     Contacts     Links                               Contact On The Wire

TEN-SIXTY-SIX PRODUCTS LTD

 G.I. Hastings was the founder of 1066 and operated  the company from Worcester from 1946 to 1950. An extensive range of items were manufactured and offered for sale, initially only through dealers such as Bagnall's and Bud Morgan, but later directly from Worcester. As well as the two cars, four engines and hydroplane, the company was supplying all the equipment and accessories necessary to build and race tethered cars. Ten-Sixty-Six owned its own Auster aeroplane, as well as having a private track in Worcester for testing and developing their cars and engines. Production had greatly exceeded sales over the life of the company and much of the stock remained unsold when it ceased trading. Some retailers were still advertising a range of 1066 items some ten years later and new kits and parts are still coming to light.

Geoffrey Hastings was the proprietor of 1066 which ran from early 1946 to the beginning of 1950. The bulk of the funding for the Company came via a wealthy single woman that owned the Battenhall Road premises, as well as the factory where production took place. Hastings was killed in a car crash in 1957 aged 50.
 

The head office of 1066 was at number 26 in this imposing terrace along Battenhall Road Worcester. Manufacturing however, was based  at  Cinderford, Gloucestershire, with light work carried out in a workshop to the rear of 26. Other addresses were used, but 1066 occupied  these premises throughout its life.

 

With the exception of the Hawk, all 1066 engines were available in kit form for home building. With the  rough castings as supplied, large amounts of skilled work was required to finish an engine. Completed crankshafts were sold separately. 

Photo courtesy Ken Croft.

Both the Model Racing Car (MRC) and Conquest were sold in kit form with the MRC available in various stages of completion. The Conquest was more self assembly and could be completed in 8 hours with basic tools. The aluminium body shown was sold separately.


 

In 1948 Hastings presented a trophy costing more than £200 with a complex set of rules to encourage  development of home built and British products. John Oliver and Gerry Buck both featured in the results for 48 and 49, the only years it was run.

Adverts appeared regularly from 1946 to 1950 in all the specialist magazines, enthusiastically extolling the virtues of the various products on offer from the Company.

 

A 'last gasp' product from 1949 was this quirky 'two at a time' racing system. Developed jointly with Mr Wheatstone of Hereford it is shown here with the Conquest prototype and a production model.

Engines and other products from 1066  formed the basis of vast number of home built projects, including this 10cc tethered hydroplane from the early 1950s

Review of Products

Falcon

The first product from 1066, the Falcon was intended to be a 'family' of engines with 5, 10 and 15cc versions. The sideport motor showed distinct 'Westbury' design influence, not only with the 'bird of prey' name. A plain lapped piston ran in a hardened steel liner and the spindly crankshaft was supplied ready made. Conservative porting restricted the power output of this engine to around 1/4 bhp. Intended purely for home construction, the kit of parts and castings was originally 24/6 (£1.27). The 10cc Falcon 2 never made production, although 2 do exist, but the 15cc (Falcon 3?) never got beyond advertising copy. The Falcon is the most common of the 1066 engines, but no factory versions have yet come to light.

Hawk 5cc

The Hawk shares many features with the Falcon that preceded it but with a move to rear rotary valve induction. The cylinder is now an iron casting screwed in to the crankcase.  The Hawk was only ever available as a factory built engine and initially only made for export. By November 1948 it was released on to the home market but does not seem to have been in production for more than a year. Two versions were available, the H/A for planes with a cut away crank and the H/RC for cars with a full circle crank. Both crankshafts were plain 1/4" dia with a long tapered collett for fitting a clutch or a shorter one for a prop driver. Engine numbers for the Hawk start at 1000.

Arrow 5cc.

The final development of the 5cc engines and a last attempt to compete in the market for 'B' class engines. The Arrow was released in April 49, and as far as is known was only available as a kit at 33/- (£1.65) with the crankshaft sold separately for a further 14/6 (72p). Induction was via a steel disc rear rotary valve, and turned venturi as on the Hawk. The most obvious feature of the Arrow is a separate cast aluminium cylinder bolted to the crankcase as was common practice before the 'monobloc' castings became the norm. A full circle crank from the car version of the Hawk was used. In spite of revised porting this motor could not compete with the likes of the ETA 29 and the Dooling beginning to arrive from the US.

Conqueror 10cc

A 10cc British racing engine initially developed during 1948. The Conqueror MK I was available either as a kit at £2-17-6 (£2.75) or as a factory produced unit for £8-5-0 for the ignition version or £8-2-6 for the glow motor. The Conqueror is typical of the motors from that period with the single piece cylinder and crankcase casting and bolted on front and rear housings. A ringed aluminium piston ran in a spun cast iron liner, both products of Wellworthy. A MKII version followed with an enlarged bypass followed by an inclined venturi MK IV and a 'bulge bypass' prototype. It was claimed that the engine would rev to 23,000rpm. Factory built engine carry the CHM serial numbered from 500 for the MKI and 200 for the MKII.

MRC

The MRC (Model Racing Car) arrived in stages from 1946 as the individual components came on to the market first to satisfy the needs of home builders. Intended for engines up to 5cc the car featured  aluminium channel chassis rail with front and rear suspension. The chassis and body were the last items to be announced before a complete kit could be offered in 1948. Kits started with K1 at 62/6 (£3.12) with all machining and construction to be done with K3 complete and ready to assemble at £6-12-6 ((£6.52). A deluxe kit was offered in 1949.

Conquest

Marketed from 1948, the Conquest was a much sturdier and more purposeful car. Based on 2 14swg aluminium pressings for the pan and body, the car was intended for the Conqueror and other 10cc racing engines using a spur gear mount. Heavy duty wheels  and axles were designed specifically for this car and the front featured independent suspension. The car was supplied as a kit of parts, ready to assemble for £10-10-0 (£10.50). The Conquest proved very popular with those that could not obtain the more competitive McCoy and Dooling cars being imported and the individual parts found their way into many home built cars.

Hydroplane

The 24" long hydroplane is a simplified version of the Westbury 'ME' design published in 1939 and was announced in May 47 with the engine mount and fittings available the following October. The Falcon engine needed modifications to the side port carburettor when fitted. Although advertised through to the 1960s no example or picture of the boat has been found so far. According to an early catalogue an example had been tested at Kingswinford and timed at 19.7mph. The kit cost 25/- and a 36" long version was supposedly available at 45/-. The fittings cost 66/- finished, or 20/- for the materials. Any information on this hydroplane would be gratefully received.

©copyrightOTW2012